X Factor winner

'X Factor' winner Melanie Amaro on how victory feels.

Melanie Amaro, the freshly crowned Season 1 winner of "The X Factor," sounded tired and perhaps still a little dizzy after her big win as she took reporters' questions over the phone Friday morning. It was understandable: She'd had no sleep since getting the life-changing news Thursday night, having given what she estimated to be around 30 interviews in the intervening hours. I feel amazing. I sing to the very, very pit of my soul.

On how she's changed and grown as a result of "The X Factor":
I've grown not only as a person, but as an artist as well. I'm growing and learning so much from the industry and from being in the competition. On the transformational mid-season moment when she revealed her Caribbean accent:


To be honest, that really wasn't planned. On whether Simon Cowell eliminating her and then bringing her back was staged or a surprise:


That was a total surprise. I had no clue Simon was coming to my house. On what the judges and her family and friends said to her after her victory — and Simon Cowell's backstage nerves:


[They said] they're all so very proud of me and that I really deserved this. And my mentor [Cowell] was so proud. Tonight my stomach is in knots. I'm so nervous." I'm the one who's supposed to be nervous!" But they were all proud. My family and the judges were all happy for me.

On artists or producers she might like to work with:
I'd love to work with Mariah Carey. And I'd also love to work with L.A. Reid, because he's a great producer. He's a great mentor. He's wonderful. You won't fulfill your dream. On whether it was difficult to forgive Simon Cowell for sending her home:
No.

On whether she could have gone as far in the competition had Cowell not been her mentor:
No. So for me I needed Simon. I needed Simon.
On whether she had resumed her old life after her early elimination:
I did. I was meant to sing.

Do you think you'll buy Melanie Amaro's album when it comes out?